Re: 404/446 generation engines and their exchange

At 7:12 PM 6/9/03, John Stricker wrote:

>Greg, I have never seen the back of the 7.3 Navistar Diesel block as used in
>the Fords, is it an SAE pattern?  If not, then that part is not the same as
>the 404/446.

The back of the BLOCK on the MV's and on the 6.9/7.3's is the same. There
are two different flywheel housing adapters which will fit either one. One
of these goes to an SAE #2 or #3 (?? not sure which) bell flange, the OTHER
goes to a big block Ford bell-housing bolt pattern.

All you need to do to figure out where the power went on the MV's is to
take a look at the heads !! The valves and ports are about the size of
those on an SV 266 !! These heads were a typical early '70's 2/3 strangled
emissions oriented design.

Greg