Re: 404/446 generation engines and their exchange

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stricker" <jstricke@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 19:12
Subject: Re: 404/446 generation engines and their exchange

> I think Greg mentioned this already, but IIRC the only two displacements
> were the 404 and the 446.  I don't believe they were in the heavy duty,
just
> the medium duty, but they may have been offered in something like a
trailer
> spotter or something.  I can't imagine it surviving long in a heavy duty
> application based on my experience with it.  Read more below on that.
>
> Greg, I have never seen the back of the 7.3 Navistar Diesel block as used
in
> the Fords, is it an SAE pattern?  If not, then that part is not the same
as
> the 404/446.

I've been told that they put an adapter to go from the SAE to the ford
pattern to use the ford transmission on the *older* trucks (6.9-7.3) and
that at the powerstroke phase they simply use a ford pattern.  Second hand
info though.  Disclaimers apply....

<snip>

> All in all, you couldn't give me a 404/446 again.  I still have this one
and
> it's one too many.  I fully expect every time I drive it to be it's last
> time the engine makes it.  One of these days, I'm going to get rid of it
and
> get a truck with a real motor.  Like another 345.
>
> John Stricker

Is it possible that they just were giving you bad motors?   Or that the 446
might be a better motor than the 404?

-Ryan