From: "ROCKY LEAR" <rockylear@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 23:25
Subject: 404/446 generation engines and their exchange

> I have a 446 V8 which is the same engine family as the 404 which was used
in heavy trucks. It has crossed my mind today while taking the bellhousing
off....would it be possible to put one of these in place of a 345/392? The
bellhousing pattern looks the same. I am still debating what kind of engine
I want to put back in the 1210. I wanted to put a 7.3 diesel in it and still
may do that eventually but I'm still fishing for input and ideas at this
point. I don't know the characteristics of this family of engine if they are
any heavier built inside than the earlier engines or what. I know there are
a few performance parts available for the early engines but surely not for
the 446. Perhaps a custom grind cam might be a possibility.  Does anyone
have any ideas?

> PS: How many different different cubic inch combos are there available in
this type block? Just two? The 500+ CI engine used in some R series tractor
trucks looks totally different than this 446.