----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>

> I read what Thomas said about covering it with leather, and I really
> liked the sound of that, but I understand why you wouldn't want to do
> that. I don't know if vinyl can be shaped that well, or not.  I guess I
> favor the Rhino coating type of stuff for lack of having any other good
> suggestion.

---Would Rhino Liner dissolve the vinyl? Never tried using it on anything
but steel.

---The problem with the vinyl is you almost have to have it formed to fit
the curves and such, or molded. Vinyl will always want to shrink back to
it's original flat shape unless heated. Leather is a great tool to work
with. Once wet, it will take on almost any shape you want it to. All you
have to do is allow it to dry around the shape, and it takes on that shape.
Extreme curves might take more than one stretching, but doe hide is soft
enough and pliable enough to work with.

---A good buffing of the treated area and the pores should be repaired and
ready for some wax. Never use oils on leather, it clogs the pores and
prevents the leather from breathing. That will cause shrinkage and cracking
and also prevent any moisture from exiting the interior causing mold,
mildew, rot, etc.

---Besides, leather looks better ;)

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)