Re: Fuse box, dash restoration questions

John Hofstetter wrote:

> On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 08:36  PM, David Bongo wrote:
>
> >  Would it be advisable to coat the entire dash with a layer of this
> > stuff, in an effort to seal it off from moisture (remember, I am a
> > mailman
> > and water gets into my truck.  "It was raining" doesn't work as an
> > excuse
> > for non-delivery so the window stays open) and anything else that may
> > cause
> > it harm?
>
> You certainly couldn't use the gel to coat the whole dash and get a
> decent looking job. Coating the whole thing with a more liquid Acraglas
> doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  Well, at least not as a finish
> coat. To go beyond filling the voids, you would almost have to use a
> piece of glass cloth to hold everything together.
> >
> > Also, if the answer to the previous question is "yes" how would it be
> > as a
> > top coat?  It would save me the hassle of recovering the dash with
> > carpet or
> > leather or vinyl.  Probably tougher and easier to clean than any of the
> > others, I hope?
>
> How about using something like the Rhino lining to cover the dash after
> you get the cracks filled?  The rough surface would hide a lot of
> imperfections and seal it to water.

The interior of the truck is actually Rhinolined.  I was afraid that the
acraglas wouldn't be a good idea (and I was justified in those fears, as it
turns out) but this is a similar solution.  Of course, Rhino lining is a bit
rough, so I'll have to see how well mail responds to it before considering it
further.  It might look a bit tacky, too.  I'm no Doctor of Style, but this
might be pushing it.  I want there to be some level of looking normal.
Rhinolining probably won't give me that.

> > Lastly, if the answer to that question is "yes" would it be a good
> > idea to
> > go with one of the atomized metals listed on their page?  Steel,
> > obviously,
> > is a bad choice because of the rust potential.  But any of the others
> > should
> > work.  Bronze is the cheapest, pound for pound, but the Aluminum isn't
> > THAT
> > much more.
>
> I use a lot of the atomized bronze. Perfect for bedding gun barrels.
> But overkill for your dash, probably. I think I'd use fiber, but the Al
> would be OK too, I guess.

I have very little experience with this type of stuff, so  please forgive my
ignorance.  I didn't notice any fiberglas fiber fill on Brownell's Acraglas
Gel page.  There was a warning about using "glass floc" though.  I'm not
looking forward to this project, and don't want to repeat it because of a
mistake.  Can I get the correct fiber through Brownell's when I order the
Gel, or must I go elsewhere?

> I read what Thomas said about covering it with leather, and I really
> liked the sound of that, but I understand why you wouldn't want to do
> that. I don't know if vinyl can be shaped that well, or not.  I guess I
> favor the Rhino coating type of stuff for lack of having any other good
> suggestion.
>
> John Hofstetter

While the leather seems to run the possibility of being a PITA, it probably
is the best solution.  Especially with the proper protectant, as Colin
mentioned.  Maybe I can coat the dash with a layer of a good, strong,
outdoor-grade polyurethane, and then put the leather on over that.  My
primary concern is that the dash not deteriorate any further.  My secondary
concern is that the new covering last so I don't need to be bothered doing it
again.  If I do this right, it could be fun.  If I do it wrong, well, I'll be
one unhappy camper.

Dave