Re: Fuse box, dash restoration questions

John Hofstetter wrote:

> On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 05:17  PM, David Bongo wrote:
>
> > After cleaning it, I'm figuring on using a 2-part epoxy to fill in the
> > cracks and, hopefully, help bind it together.  I'm not sure what type
> > of
> > filler to use on the missing chunk.  It'll take a LOT of epoxy there,
> > and it might not even be the right stuff for such a large area.
>
> Dave,
>
> I have no idea of how epoxy and the dash "stuff" will get along, but if
> i were filling in the cracks and the chunk, I'd use Brownells Acraglas
> gel with fiberglass fiber fill, or sawdust, or whatever.  Wonderful to
> work with. Consistency of JB weld but mixes well with any filler.
>
> Available at Brownells   www.brownells.com
>
> I use it for everything.

John,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll probably be ordering this stuff.  It seems like
it's just what I'm looking for.  Let me ask you a couple of questions about
it.  I don't have a picture of my dash, but I assure you it is in BAD
shape.  Would it be advisable to coat the entire dash with a layer of this
stuff, in an effort to seal it off from moisture (remember, I am a mailman
and water gets into my truck.  "It was raining" doesn't work as an excuse
for non-delivery so the window stays open) and anything else that may cause
it harm?

Also, if the answer to the previous question is "yes" how would it be as a
top coat?  It would save me the hassle of recovering the dash with carpet or
leather or vinyl.  Probably tougher and easier to clean than any of the
others, I hope?

Lastly, if the answer to that question is "yes" would it be a good idea to
go with one of the atomized metals listed on their page?  Steel, obviously,
is a bad choice because of the rust potential.  But any of the others should
work.  Bronze is the cheapest, pound for pound, but the Aluminum isn't THAT
much more.

I don't want a million-dollar dash (it IS a mail truck) but I do want it to
look decent.  The interior of the truck, right now, is Rhinolined with a
4'x2' sheet of 1/2 inch plywood serving as a mail tray.  Which I'd love to
do over in Oak eventually (once I learn what works and what doesn't and
perfect the design) so I want it to look nice, but it doesn't need to look
TOO nice.

Thanks again,

Dave