Re: Finding the compression stroke

Christopher Eveland wrote:

> Aomething you can do to avoid making such a contraption anyway, is to
> just remove the spark plus and use your finger to feel the air coming
> out under compression.  Sure it won't get you to within 1 degree of TDC,
> but it will get you close enough that you know that the timing mark is
> TDC of comrpression rather than exhaust.
>
> If you take the valve cover off, you can watch the rockers and figure it
> out as well.
>
> -Chris
> '67 800

Chris-

Yeah, I know this method, but what my problem was that I was turning the
engine by hand-trying to turn the fan with one hand, while keeping a finger
over the spark plug hole in an engine that hasn't run in twenty-two years.
Was not working, so HOF's idea was exactly the kind of contraption I was
looking for.

Thanks for the input, though.  I forgot about just taking the valve cover
off and watching-D'ooooh!

Michael