Re: CV joint and autos on a SOA

Tom Harais wrote:
> My concern would be that, without the tall towers, and the addition of
> schackles to the rear of the frame, your front spring mounting is much
> higher than your rear spring mounting.  That makes for some interesting
> front end geometery.  How does this thing handle on the road?

We've discussed this before, Tom.  STOCK, the front of the spring is
higher than the rear.  If you did things "just right" you could easily
lower the spring mounts by about 1" (or potentially less, depending on
what your rear shackle requirements are) and keep the "tip" of the
springs the same as stock.

That's not to say John's friend didn't do something different, or cut n'
twist the knuckles like it's recommended - note that with a reverse
shackle and relatively flat springs, brake-dive results in NEGATIVE
caster, so the harder you apply the binders, the shakier the steering
gets.

I'd also like to know if this person relocated the front axle forward to
keep the tires from hitting the bottom of the firewall/fenders.

-Tom