body work

Binders,
   I was working on the new rocker on Bad yesterday.

<><><>NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT<><><>
If you cut the entire rocker out of a Scout and your floor is shot as
well rig some sort of brace between the A pillar and B pillar!

   The above public service announcement is the reason for my posting.
Since I have to be able to run BAD to Carlisle friday morning I am doing
a temporary/ permanent fix.
   Here is what I have done so far. After removing all the inner and
outer rockers, I took a piece of 2x2" angle iron and welded that onto
the A pillar and the edge of the floor that will be coming out soon.
There isn't enough B pillar to attach to. With that done I took another
short piece of angle and bolted it over what is left of the center mount
and extended it out to the new rocker. After welding that together I
took 2 more short pieces and welded them into a C channel and after
drilling a mounting hole I bolted that to the front body mount. I then
bolted the door back on so I could see where to weld the front mount to
the rocker.
   Once I established that and welded it I found that the door sagged at
a livable amount for now, but the B pillar had separated from the A
pillar and I couldn't get the striker to catch the bolt right.

   Now, the center mount I made doesn't really support anything, it just
pivots on the bolt at the mount. What I need to do is run the angle
completely from side to side to hold the weight, that will have to be a
later add on. For now I just intend to support it with some bolt rod
from the roll bar holes on the rear step.

   My question is, how should, can I fix the separation between the A &
B pillars? Can I cut the welds on the center mount and take a
come-a-long and pull them together and re-weld? I'm sure a new floor
installed would help hold all of this together, but; I don't have time
to do all that. I need to get the door to open and close enough so I can
live with it to Carlisle and back.

   If I have to, I'll pull both doors and drive out like that.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided

3 Scouts, 2 parts Scouts, starting to get lots of parts.

http://www.triplediamond.org