RE: POR's Metal Ready

Chris & Ranae wrote:

> Of course, it tells you not only to use Metal-Ready but something
> else too,
> if I remember correctly.  Well, I wasn't going to be around the next 2
> weekends so if I ordered the sh*t then the truck would sit for almost
> another month.  Sheesh. Why was the POR description so misleading?

The Metal Ready is just a surface cleaner.  You don't have to use it.  I've
tried to remove POR-15 that was painted on a rusty floor (prepped with a
wire brush), and I couldn't (with a grinder & a variety of wheels &
brushes).  The high spots came off, but the low spots will be there for an
eternity.

The best thing that the metal ready can do for you is to remove oils, etc
that might be on the steel.  I've got some I'll be using to ensure that the
new steel panels I've got will be perfectly clean.

Also, metal ready is just a dilute acid.  Probably phosphoric.  You could
even just buy a bottle of swimming pool cement cleaner (costs about $12 /
*concentrated* quart).  That would do a half-dozen scouts.

Just make sure you can rinse everything off!

ken farmer