Re: Plug wires and ohms

Rik:

I should have added - when you test plug wires for resistance, your looking
for extremely high resistance, usually infiniti which means the plug wire
has an "open" or gap in it.  It is important to compare the result you get,
with what the manual says the stock wires should have.  Of course, this is
moot if your using aftermarket high or low resistance plug wires.  Then you
need to compare the measurement with the manufacturer's specs and allow for
length.  For instance, if there is supposed to be 15 ohms per foot, a two
foot long wire will have 30 ohms.

As I say, what's really important is are there any breaks.  If you get a
reading, you've got continuity. Be sure to flex the wire all around to see
if the continuity breaks.  If so, the wire has a break and needs to be
replaced.

When the plug wires went bad on my Honda, one of them showed infinite
resistance.  The other three were about 30 ohms.  They all got replaced.

Tom H.