RE: Bed coatings redux

Owen wrote:

> Give the DuraBak stuff a try. I went for Lava liner and it's WAY too soft.
> Kinda like the stuff you find that is dipped on plier handles. It also is
> *really* shiny at first and then it gets dull and gets a chalky finnish.
> But this was for a bed application. I guess for inside a cab, it would be
> nice to have a softer finnish and it wouldn't be in direct
> sunlight all the
> time.  Just mix some shredded rubber bits in for texture.

That's kinda the problem with this stuff: it isn't really time-tested.
There are a lot of little issues.  Some of the obvious ones include:
 - the bond to the steel can be weak
 - some products might out-gas too much
 - the paint on type provides no thermal or vibration (sound) insulation

Who knows what the less obvious ones are?  Speed-liner sounds good: I've
heard a lot of good things about it (although it's more of a competitor to
Rhino/etc than to Durabak/Lava/etc).  But even there - I've spoke with
dealers who don't use some of the colors because they fade.

Hopefully, I should have the bead-blast info I'm waiting for by the middle
of next week.  Then, I'll get the entire Scout interior done, paint it with
two coats of POR-15, install a very thick rubber matt over it, and lay vinyl
over that.  This solution appeared to solve my needs much better than the
durabak/lava liner solutions at a fraction of the cost.

Hmmm, I owe somebody (Owen?) a response on the roofing material, here's all
that I know:

http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/  (see section 5.10)
http://www.erols.com/achassel/rattles.html

Ken Farmer