RE: Spring Bushings

Mark wrote:

<snip>
> Also I would like
> to gain a couple inches in tire clearance to run 32 or 33 inch tires
> could I gain that by using longer shackles or would I have to go with a
> conventional lift, this vehicle is used mostly for towing a boat to the
> lake but sees its share of off-roading so I would not want to chance
> safety or the ruggedness IHs are known for , If the lift is the way to
> go , which one for a travelall ?

Mark, I'd think you could run 33s with a stock lift on your travelall.  I've
got 31" tires on my '74 Travelall and there's a ton of room left in those
wheel wells.  I *did* get new springs fabricated for it, prior to that I
suppose 31" might have been the max in the back.

I remember some posts from a few years back in which a fellow who had lifted
a bunch of travelalls provided a bunch of warnings.  I don't remember who it
was, but his basic message was something along the lines of: be very careful
& conservative since they are so heavy.  (sorry if I lost a little detail
there <g>).

Hope that helps some,

Ken Farmer
1974 Travelall 100 4WD 31" tires, new springs, RS-9000s
1975 Travelall 150 2WD 235" tires
1980 Scout II, 32" tires, RS-9000s, cv-joint front driveshaft, twisted axle,
arg...