Re: Oil

LATE BREAKING NEWS: "Rik DesJardin" <rik@domain.elided> wins the 40
million dollar lottery and says:

>I once used Amsoil and it is obviously smaller particled than regular
>because I had more slow oil leaks with it than any other oil.
>Are synthetic oils like this; tend to seap out of the engine easier?
>I do put synthetics in diffs and Transfercases because they often get
>ignored until something happens.

Synthetic oils tend to flow better when cold and thus will more easily seep
past *worn* seals after the engine has been shut off and cooled down.  This
increased flow is one of the things that makes them beneficial.  Synthetics
flow throughout the engine faster after a cold startup to help reduce the
massive amounts of wear which occurs immediately after starting (with the
bearings essentially void of their protective oil film).

There's nothing wrong with Amsoil or any other high quality synthetic.  But
if you take a normal high milage engine with normal (or heavy) deposits in
it, adding a free flowing synthetic could possibly act like a solvent and
actually do more harm than good.  If you've ever looked at the instructions
on those cans of "motor flush" type products (basically kerosene in a can),
you will see that they specifically warn against using them in dirty high
mileage engines.  The loosened varnish, sludge and coked oil buildup can
clog oil passageways and lead to serious problems.  If you're inclined to
use them, it's best to start using oil solvents or synthetic oils from the
start of an engine's life.

As far as to whether synthetics are any good... after reading the results
of a test conducted by the University of California and commissioned by
Motorcycle Consumer News magazine (several years ago), I'm convinced they
are far superior to conventional oils.  In motorcycles the primary concern
is how long an oil can hold its rated viscosity when being subjected to the
shredding action of the motorcycle's transmission (which normally shares
the same oil as the engine).  The controlled MCN test sampled several
conventional and synthetic oils in the same motorcycle.  The oils were
tested in a special viscosity tester before, during and after being run in
the motorcycle over a set number of miles.  The synthetics held their
viscosity much better conventional oils.  The big surprise in the test was
how Mobil 1 fared better than even synthetic so called true "motorcycle
oils."

But like anything, you have to ask yourself if there's a payoff to the
added expense of using synthetics.  In a motorcycle with it's very harsh
operating conditions, I say absolutely!  With a stock IH engine, personally
I don't think so.  But if a guy has money to spend, then by all means go
for it.  I probably would if I could afford it.  But at $4.00 a quart x 6
quarts every 2000 to 3000 miles... no way!  My motorcycle only uses 3
quarts and doesn't log nearly as many miles each year.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison."
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell