Uncorked exhaust

Just remembered..

I've been told NOT to run a motor w/o an exhaust for long, or you'll
burn the valves?  Something about the too-cool ambient air rushing up
the manifolds and into the heads when you shut the the motor doww, and
causing "bad things."

True?  Not true?

There's a set of headers n' straight pipes waiting for me in Bozeman..
my friend painted the pipes, ran the motor 'till it got hot, then cut
the pipes where they started to burn the paint first.. *BUT* there was
still a pipe.. not "right off the manifold"..

I'll get the exhaust hooked up anyhow.. even if it's w/o the donuts..
tho' it sure sounds appealing uncorked. <VBG>

-Tom