Re: Custom Radiator Mount & trans

Jeff wrote:
>I would take a piece of channel to bridge the frame rails at the bottom of the rad. between the
>front body mounts, two rails up either side of the rad., Triangle braces back down to the body
>mounts, and another cross member at the top.  Two tubes at the top of the triangles back to the
>corners of the fire wall will keep it straight up.  I think I would opt for a remote mounted
> electric fan too, keep the horsepower for the tires.:)

OK, after some thinking and some mockin' up last night... I need a
shorter fan spacer to keep things apart and in a comfort zone..

I cut the 3x2x3/16 angle and drilled to mount to the front body mounts.
3" wide, 2" is "UP" and to the front (away from the motor).  I moved the
angle as far forward as I could while still getting a good bite on the
body mounts.

I cut two pieces of 1.5x1.5x1/8" angle to about 20" (OK, 19.5) tall.

A few designs ranged through my head.. one had a piece of 1x1 angle
across the rear (motor side) of the radiator, with two larger chucnks of
angle tossed in and some rubber bushings.  Use the larger pieces to
"hold" the rubber, use the smaller angle to "cinch" the whole thing
against the mounted 3x2 angle using two bolts.

Current "get it done quick and see how I like it" idea is to leave the
3x2 as-is.  Drill the 1.5x1.5 angle to use the stock radiator mounting
flange, and bolt the rad to the angle.  I'll then drill the bottom of
this angle, and the 3x2, to accept a 3/8" bolt.  I'll put some rubber
under the radiator, and between it and the vertical face of the 3x2
angle.  Then use some 3/8" bolts to *lightly* cinch the radiator (using
the stock flange mount) against the 3x2 on the bottom.

Then just some 1" strap from the top of the 20" angle to the inner
fender mounts to keep the top from front-to-back motion.

Yes, a bit heavy for the job, and it's already nose heavy.. but it'll
work, and I can redesign it after I've tried it.  If it keeps the
radiator upright and out of the fan for this weekend's racing, it'll
have served a purpose.

727 -

If the seal *is* toast, I'd known it pretty quick, right?  Maybe I'll
give the motor some gas and try filling the trans and run the motor for
a minute (trans in N) and see if it pukes.. I'd much prefer not pulling
things apart.

And if it does leak, maybe I just buy a few more gallons of ATF for the
weekend.. :-)

-Tom