Re: Question for Tom Mandera

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Walter A. Evitts wrote:

> With out a doubt you are the busiest man on the digest. How do you do all
> the things you do in the time you do them in? It has been my experience that

LOL.  Well, lessee.. it's 2:30am and I'm replying to this message.. ;-)

> things go wrong. Murphy's Law was written just for me I guess. I would not

Oh, things definitely go wrong!  I have a U-bolt to replace on my fresh
rear spring over.. messed the threads up when I installed it.  I had
hoped to have my spring-over done in a day, but the #$@%@ shackle
bushings saw to it that it didn't happen.. then I found the shocks were
too long when compressed and I had to relocate the upper mounts.. rain
was always there.. :-(

> attempt a few of the things you do and I consider myself very well
> experienced in the "mechanical arts". (Maybe that's why I would not attempt
> them).

Yep, you know better, Walter.. you know enough NOT to try what I do! ;-)

> Anyway I admire your willingness to jump in and get it done. I think
> I speak for all when I say I am anxious to see the finished product.

Well, I hope I'm the MOST anxious to see what's going to come out of
this! LOL.

I drilled holes for the rollcage mounting bolts tonight.  Gotta go buy
7/16" bolts tomorrow.

I test fitted the seat, and cut some steel for the seat mount.

Started on the radiator mount.  Cut a piece of 2x3x3/16 angle and drilled
it to mount to the "core support body mounts."  Plan is now to use some
1.5x1.5 angle vertically, bolted to the stock radiator mounting flange.
I have some rubber pads I'll stick under and in front and behind the
radiator.  Two long bolts, on either side, will be used to "cinch" the
angle on the stock mounts to the 2x3 angle bolted to the body mounts.
This'll "pinch" the bottom of the radiator.  I'll then cut some 1"x1/8"
strap, which will get bolted to the top of the angle on the stock mount
flange, and the other end will get bolted to one of the original
inner-fender mounting bolts (I don't need it since I have a one-piece
front clip)

Seems like the quickest n' easiest.

My friend Mike finished the gears tonight.  Pick the front axle up after
work tomorrow (when I stop to get the bolts I need)

Gas pedal is hooked up (gotta get the important stuff done, first!)

Willy Cunningham sent me a brake booster and master cylinder a while ago
(along with the plastic bucket seat, Thanks Willy!) and I went to install
it tonight.  The m/c has two large "round" reservoirs.. like a double
disc brake setup.  The booster is a thinner pancake style.  I have no
idea what this came off of.

The mounting bracket had the holes too far apart for the firewall side,
and it was just TOO BIG.

After tearing apart a stock brake setup (I have a bad m/c and bad booster
around), and trying to make something out of this mess, I just re-drilled
the bracket Willy sent to match the Scout's firewall.  Around this time
my drill press stopped working.. finally tracked it down to a bad
switch.  I plugged the drill press into a mult-plug strip, and bypassed
the switch on the 'press. ;-)

Finally got the brake pedal attached, and things seem well.  Still no
"brakes", but perhaps tomorrow I'll get the disc/drum SII proportioning
valve installed, make lines on the rear axle, install all of the flexible
lines, and get the front axle installed.. then I can test the brakes!

Steering column is in as well.

Whew.

Tomorrow I'll bolt down the 'cage and install the front axle.  If I can
get to the brakes, great.  I'd also like to see the radiator finished.

Brakes, see how much crap comes out of the gas tank, get the TC lined up
right, check fluids..

Oh yeah, the front-clip mount/bumper needs finished.. that's just a
little welding.

I think I can take this thing from a mostly TOTAL last weekend to a racer
this weekend.

Oh yeah, grabbed the normal ol' plates today, too.. ready to go!

-Tom