Re: Starter Problem-Continuing-Wagonmaster

>Someone had me run a test line (Chris Procyk, maybe?) from my starter
>directly to my battery.  Anytime it wouldn't start, I could leave the
>key in the run position and touch that wire to my (+) battery terminal,
>and the thing would kick right over and start.

Michael:
  It may have been me that suggested the test wire.  That's what I did
on my truck at first.  Since it works every time with that setup, you have
confirmed that there is NOTHING WRONG with your starter or battery.
What you confirmed is there is a problem with the start wire.  Consider
the path for this wire:  Start terminal of the Ign switch, to the coil of a
relay
under the dash.  The other side if that coil connects to the neutral safety
switch.  So if you are in park or neutral, the wire is grounded, and moving
the key to the start position activates the relay.  The switched contacts
in the relay connect to the battery, and down to the 'S' terminal on the
starter.  Note, manual tranny trucks don't have the relay, and power the
starter 'S' terminal straight from the ignition switch.  So, folks with
automatics, do not have the full starter solenoid current passing through
the ignition switch, with the stock configuration.

The big wires connect to the alternator, and down to the big lug on the
battery.
They connect to the ammeter inside.  From a bulkhead perspective,
there are two wires that could be a problem--the one that connects to
the neutral safety switch, and the one that goes back to the 'S' terminal
on the starter.  If either one is not making good contact, you won't be able
to start.  I think they are on the same connector, but do not remember which
one.

  What could be happening?  Based on your unpredictable problem, it
could be the connection from the coil of the relay to the neutral safety
switch, and it could just be a worn out relay.  It might be the neutral
safety switch, if the relay is not activated when it won't start.  Lastly,
it could be the bulkhead connector.  Some tracing and testing
when it is in the 'no start' mode should narrow it down.

Hopefully, the above explanation will help you track it down.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup

p.s.  Does it work again after a cool down period?