Spring-over - Update

OK, first I used the '73 non-HD springs w/o the 4th leaf, and I netted
THREE inches of lift... as much or LESS than my spring-under setup had.

Last night I put the 4th tapered leaf (no true "overload" on these
springs) in, and then cut a hole in some 3/8x2 strap, cut to the same
length as the spring perches (Fleck must've known I'd use his shackles
for this.. they were the perfect length).  I bolted it all together with
the center-bolt.

Re-installed.  Stripped a U-bolt, so I need one new one..

I didn't get the shocks fixed yet.  The upper mount bolts are seized,
and it was pouring rain all night.. I was having more than enough fun.
I'll hook up the air impact (not the little electric) and try 'em again
if it's nice tonight.

I now measure between 3.5 and 4" of lift over stock.  Springs are
*STILL* flat at-rest.  The 4th leaf and the "lift block" gained me the
1/2" or so of lift just by their thickness.

I need to relocate the upper shock mounts in-board about 4.5" from
stock.  Yes, my shocks will be very much in a "V" shape.. which means
they won't work super well. :-(

I wired up the shocks, hooked the driveshaft up, and went for a spin.
No more "clunk" from the axle shifting in the perches on accel and
deccel.  No vibration up to 50mph (just a short exit-to-exit jaunt on
the Interstate).  I checked slip-joint travel - looks good.

Driveshaft was retubed with .0833 tube, not .6-something that was stock
(and that I pretzled)  I didn't go up to .120 wall.

Ride is good - once you remember it has no rear shocks and it hops n'
bounces a bit.. particularly at 50mph crossing a bridge on the
Interstate...

I didn't "get on it" too hard last night.. still have one U-bolt that
should be replaced, so I don't know if I'll have wheel hop or not.. the
perches are longer than stock and the center pin is offset, so it should
help counteract any wheel hop..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout