Ed's blowing oil

Ed,
Some comments and suggestions.
You need to find out for sure where your blowby is coming from. Do a
compression check, even a cheap compression gauge will give you the
info you need.
As I remember, you had both cylinder and head damage.  Get a reading
on the cylinder for which you replaced the piston. If it's 80 lbs or
so, hopefully a lot more, but not likely, it's probably OK.  If it is
very low, squirt some heavy oil into the cylinder. If the compression
goes up, then the pressure is going past the rings. If the oil makes
little or no change, then you have a bad valve(s). The oil could be
coming past the guide as they could have been damaged in the trauma
your engine went through.

With only slight over-generalization, you can't really put in
oversized rings without putting in an oversized piston, and you can't
do that without having the block bored out. Yes you can do this to
only one cylinder, but most people don't because when they have
everything torn down, it just seems to make sense to rebuild the
entire block. Some people will probably express a concern about only
doing one cylinder and causing an imbalance, but I have had a lot of
experience with the motor you have and I don't think you'd have any
problem caused by the replacement piston being slightly heavier than
the other five.

I visualize that oil could get up through a guide and into the intake
system, but the airflow is in the opposite direction and it doesn't
seem very likely. Going through a guide into the exhaust system is
common.

You had some cylinder wall damage that, as I remember, didn't clean up
completely with the honing that you guys did, and that could also be
the source of blowby.

In my opinion, you won't do any further damage to the engine by
driving it.
John H.