Spring (finally) over

Ugh.  ALL DAY.  Started at 10am, finished up 20 minutes ago at 3:30am. ;-)

I had some difficulties getting the spring bushings out of the "new"
springs, and the two rear shackle-bolts/bushings had seized *AGAIN*..
<grumble>..

But fabricating the new spring perches and shock mounts went well and was
kinda fun.

I had to weld up a hole in the axle housing - when I tore the OE spring
perch off, it took a little with it.  I also noticed my passenger side OE
spring perch is bent.. I put my mangetic angle finder on it (find 0, then
put the new perch on top and find 0) and pulled two different readings
depending on which bent part I was on.. ;-)

Before measurements were 7.5" from axle to bump stop bracket.  I just
measured 8.5.

I took out the 2" extended Back County Binders shackles.. and had to
destroy them at the same time (I hate siezed shackle bolts).  I made new
shackles ~ 3" center to center.

I didn't redrill the leaves.  Instead, I put two center pin holes in the
spring perch - one at the center, the other 7/8" forward.  I need to
finish my U-bolt plates.. I bought the $22 9/16 bit to make the center
pin holes in the perch.. but I guess I need to go *borrow* a 5/8 bit for
the center pin *nut* side.

Springs are from a '73, non-HD.  They were shot.

I pulled the smallest (overload) leaf, so I have a 3-leaf pack.
Re-drilled for 3/8 center pin and flipped the pin over.

Finally got it all back together as it started to rain.. *sigh*

New driveshaft needs to be 41 3/4 at-rest.. NO WAY the stock driveshaft
would work.. I tried.. I can't even pull it far enough to put the U-joint
*near* the yoke.

8.5" makes 4" of lift over my Scout, stock.

If I decide I need a little more, I can always put the overloads back
in.. and someday I'll do a spring-over front and rear with XLCs for a bit
more..

Anyhow.. I think it's WAY past my bedtime..

Tomorrow the driveshaft gets lengthened and I'll borrow the bit I need..
hopefully I can drive my Scout again soon!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 4" Skyjacker front, spring-over rear, 304/4spd/33s/Locker
& LS, rollbar, BesTop, blah blah..