Re: "Dieseling" problem with a travelall

A part of the problem can be that the throttle plates aren't completely
closed, compounded by advanced timing settings.  In the early 70's, some
IH installations used a solenoid that extended a pin when the ignition
was on to set the idle speed.  When the ignition was turned off, the pin
retracted and the throttle plates would completely close to help correct
this problem.  I can't say if your vehicle should have this or not, but
one could be added if it doesn't have the solenoid.

Retarding the timing a little and shutting it down with the transmission
in drive until the engine stops may also help.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Mon, 31 May 1999 22:44:06 EDT PGNLV@domain.elided writes:
>	We need some help, please!!  We have a '70 Travelall with a
>392,
>four-barrel Carter carb.  It has a rebuilt engine with approx. 40,000
>miles
>on it.  The problem is this, occasionally when you turn her off the
>engine
>doesn't die immediately.  (It "diesels")  Does anyone know what causes
>this
>or how I may be able fix it??  Thanks!!
>
>Juniper & Sean Abbott
>
>('73 Scout II 304--Herkamer)
>('70 Travelall 392--Mithriel)
>('76 Scout Terra--Terra Titanic)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]