re: Starter Problems

It sounds as if you simply had a bad rebuild starter, which is the same
problem that I am having now. I had the same problem with the starter
not disengaging. I had to pull the battery wire off. I immediatly
checked to see if any wires were causing the short, and found none. So I
tried touching the battery cable back to the battery. Nothing. I then
tried starting it again, this time it did the same thing, but I was able
to pul the cable immediatly. I then pulled this starter out and put the
old one back in. (I was replacing becasue the PO said that it had a hot
start problem, I also had to put in a gold box and think that that may
be the only problem). I then took the faulty starter back to the store
and got a replacement. Replacement disengages fine, but the gears did
not quite mesh uip right. After a few bad starts I pulled it and put the
original back in. This one is going back to the store tomorrow and I am
asking for a refund. My dad is going to get me an OEM one from work. (He
is the manager at a Navistar PDC and has since told me that he can do an
employee purchase at get me any parts that they still stock).

David Nuenke
76 Scout II
Spirit Edition