Re: ihc-digest V6 #869

>Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 12:02:52 -0700
>From: MikeIIDC@domain.elided
>Subject: Wagonmaster Starter

>All of the following applies to my 1974 Wagonmaster, AT, 392, 100
>Series.

>However, they showed no listing for an auto transmission,
>but showed the same one for almost all IH applications.  I have heard
>talk of this before, about the auto using a spacer and the manual not,
>or vice-versa.  If I put this one in exactly as the other comes out, it
>should be okay, right?

Michael,
        If it looks the same, I'd try it; of course use the spacer if you
have one, don't worry about it if you don't.  My understanding is that the
spacer is used so the starter gear properly engages the teeth on the
flywheel with automatics.  The manual transmission flywheel is located
slightly farther from the back of the block so a spacer is not used then.
BTW, I've never owned a Wagonmaster or a 392 and I never worked for IHC so I
make no guarentee, only an educated guess...

Mike