Spring-overs n' driveshafts

Gee, I just stumbled upon a like-new driveshaft for 1/2 price.. ($140)

> Front with CV:  25.75 collapse, 29 extended

My stock front line is 24" at-rest with my 4" lift.  If I do a
spring-over on the front, I'd move the axle forward and reverse the
shackles.  Today, at-rest, I'm pretty close to extension of the slip
joint.

I'm also contemplating 3/4 eliptical (more droop).. so here's the
question..

With flat, or slightly arched (XLC) stock springs in a spring over, but
with the shackle reversed (typical RS SO), will 3.25" of slip joint
travel be enough?

I doubt it with a 3/4 eliptical setup.

Which leads us to part 2 - Has anyone simply had a slip joint replaced
with a longer version?  Maybe a 7" slip?  Just looking for a rough price
to keep in mind..

I *was* looking at $300 for the front driveshaft.. long(er) travel slip
joint, CV, etc.. but if I can get this driveshaft for $140, cut it down
a little for $25 if need be, and then lengthen the slip joint (if need
be) for a modest sum, I *might* come out ahead...

Which means I just might get around to a front spring-over...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout