re: Ring and Pinion

>On Sun, 23 May 1999, Nick Leiterman wrote:
>
>> everything I need except the case spreader.  So my question is, how
>
>The only place that seems to use a case spreader is Dana!  EVERYONE I
>know uses two levers (two pry bars) to pull the carrier out, and then a
>dead-blow nylon hammer to tap it back into place.. even my friend Mike
>that's done hundreds of R&P swaps.. (who will also be putting my front
>4.88s in this week or next!  They're here!!)
>
>-Tom

You can do this if you are willing to settle for less preload across the
carrier bearings than you ought to have.
If you go for the full preload on these bearings, you will brinnell the
carrier bearings if you don't use a spreader. Without all of the preload,
everything will work fine, just the gears and bearings will not last as
long, particularly with high torque loadings.

Greg