Re: Oil Filter base

At a recent NATO press briefing, Twmart@domain.elided was heard threatening Yugoslav
President Slobodan Milosevic...

>  I just looked at one of my extra 345 blocks and the hole in question on my
>engine is not treaded BUT it does look like it goes into the main oil galley.
>The hole in my block also has a very small plug pushed into the hole, but the
>plug is a very loose fit alum disk.
>
>I would like to know what to do with this hole also for later reference

Tom,

If this is the small hole (~1/4" diameter) that goes into the main oil gallery
under the oil filter mount, then I've been told it was originally sealed from
the factory with a lead slug, but perhaps they used aluminum.

Personally if I had to seal this hole myself (the machine shop that bored my
392's cylinders took care of sealing mine), I'd use some sort of two part
epoxy cement like JB Weld Bond.  Mine was sealed with *both* a lead slug
topped by a small amount of epoxy cement for extra insurance.  Use just enough
epoxy to seal the hole, but don't pack it in so that it enters the main oil
gallery.

By all means... if that slug is loose, get it out before assembling an engine
or you may wind up with it entering the main oil gallery where it will plug
things up.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell