Re: ihc-digest V6 #857

>Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:18:52 -0700
>From: John Fleck <jlfleck@domain.elided>
>Subject: Thanks and need help with spam e-mail.

[snip]

>In addition I know many of you are even more tech savy that myself so I am
>reaching out to you to help me decipher this spam e-mail I recieved from a
>"Ron Greene" I know Tom Mandera has help in the past but perhaps some of
>you can decipher this as well and let me know how to handle this and report
>it as spam. I have enclosed the full e-mail with header so you who have
>access can trace it back to the provider and let me know who to report to.
>Thanks for you help and i hope non of you ever has any dealing with this
>person as they seem to really be mentally challenged and pissed off at the
>world. He seems to think I am in it for myself and only buy stuff for my
>scout.

Well first I should introduce myself to the list.  My name is Brian Veale
and a I am a graduate student at Texas Tech Univeristy.  I will graduate
this summer and move to San Antonio.

I have an old 50's something IHC pickup.  It's sitting out on my father's
property between Dallas and Abilene.  I want to try to restore it in about
a year or so.  It has probably not been driven since the early 70's. It is
in pretty good shape for its age and where it has been sitting.  Only the
tailgate needs to be replaced as far as the body it goes.  It is somewhat
dented up and has a cage welded to the top of the bed that needs to come
off.  It has a inline-6 and it looks like all of the engine parts are
intact.  The inside of the cab is in much need of repair, but the original
dash and gauges are intact.  Rats have eaten up everything they can.

As far as the spam goes, here is my take.  (By the way my major is Computer
Science.) The return address on that email is probably a fake address,
although it seems to have been sent through hotmail.  So replying might not
do any good.  If it is real and you reply it will probably encite more
spam.  The best thing to do is to put a filter on that address and the
guy's name, this will allow you to transfer any messages with his name or
that email address on that last message to your trash folder or delete it.
I use Eudora for my email client and this can be done under th menu
Tools|Filters.  You can look up in Help on how to add filters.  I also use
Outlook at work.  If you can't figure it out let me know and I will try to
email you specifics.  I get quite a bit of spam and I have a petty long
list of filters.

Brian Veale

Brian F. Veale
Research Assistant