Nick's R + P

Nick,
If this your basic transportation, you may not like the mileage change
that probably would come from the engine running faster in order to
maintain highway speeds.
You've already figured out that replacing the ring and pinion in the
existing differential is probably the easiest and fastest. Randy's
Ring and Pinion is up North there somewhere, and when he was down
here, his shop was absolutely the best. Half day job for them. Couple
day job for you, maybe. Plus because the new parts are going to cost
real money, you'll want to be very careful that you do it right. I've
done three, (I think) r + p changes but have always pulled the whole
third member out so that I could really see, really measure, etc. I'm
not suggesting that you would need to do that, just that that was what
I chose to do.
My r + p changes have always been very successful except for the time
I did the job on the SSII that I had. In this case I didn't make sure
that the nuts on the U-bolts holding the axles and the springs
together were completely secure and in the very bottom of Canyonlands
most remote area, my SSII left the entire 3rd member sitting 10 feet
behind it. Real problem to get it together enough to get the vehicle
out to Montecello, Utah, where we did the repair in the city park. Try
that in California.
Good luck,
John