re: Ring and Pinion

Well after reading the procedure in the manual, I have pretty much
decided to replace the ring and pinion myself.  I think I can round up
everything I need except the case spreader.  So my question is, how
important is the case spreader.  Is it possible to get the carrier out
and more importantly in without the case spreader.  Also I don't have
access to the pinion setting tool so I am going to try to set it based
on the old shim pack and verify with the marking compound pattern.

Any suggestions or tips will be much appreciated.

oh by the way this is on a 79 Scout II rear axle with an open diff.
Thanks
Nick Leiterman
Kent, Washington
nickl@domain.elided