Re: #843 Oil Pump Rebuild

The aliens commander decided NTesla333@domain.elided would make a perfect
specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>Hey, I am about to start a rebuilt 345. When I installed my rebuilt oil pump,
>I filled the cavity with Vaseline. This is what was suggested about a year
>ago here. Is that the same suggestion? I would hate to blow the engine I just
>built for lack of oil.

You *do not* need to make a mess an waste your time packing an IH pump with
*anything* to prime it.  This oil pump will pump air, so it will self prime
and draw oil into itself as soon as it's rotated.

However, you *do* of course need to prime the engine oil system before the
first start by using something to turn the pump in the proper direction
(clockwise when looking down at the pump shaft from above).  When you start
spinning the pump with a drill motor, it will spin pretty fast at first for
a couple of seconds while the oil is drawn up through the pickup tube and
into the pump.

Any tool which will engage the slot in the top of the oil pump shaft can be
fabricated and used to spin the pump.  A variable speed or low speed drill
works best.  I used a 3/8" capacity air drill myself.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell