speaking of jets

A buddy has asked me to look at a carb problem he's having with his boat,
(He has a one ton IH truck to justify the post ; ) ) He rebuilt the carb
last weekend and it now (still) has no adjustment from the idel mixture
screws. He says he can run them full seat to full out and it has no affect.
Obviously fuel is leaking past somewhere, he says it runs fine though
otherwise. I was thinking it might be a stuck secondary float, but when I
had a holley it ran like pooh when that happened, 'course I never tried it
with the mixture screws closed. Anyway, it's been 15 years since I worked
on a Holley 4 bbl and would enjoy some thoughts from the assembled experts.
Not sure what model it is, 1850 maybe? It's a chevy 350 in a boat so I
doubt we're tuning for economy, just response.

Thanks

Terry  Rust

"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783