My 392 - progress

Pulled the valve cover.  Found TDC on #8 with both valves closed.
Pulled distributor out and reset the points (they were a little "close")
Reinstalled disty.

Didn't have much luck.. lots of dinkin' arond.. pulled both exhausts off
at the manifold..

A friend stopped by and we went to work some more.

Reoriented the distributor again and make progress - it was *wanting* to
start!  Then found the new Accel coil grounding to the intake.. turned it
so it wouldn't, and still no go... put the stock coil back on.. no go.

Pulled a plug wire and hooked it to my spark tester.. intermittent
spark.  On a few plug wires (the ones we checked).  It would
snap..snap..snap a few times then
snap..........snap.........snap..snap..snap....... snap

I also noticed the spark jumping out of the boot and grounding and not
going through my little spark-tester.

Time for new wires?  That's my current though.. just buy a new set of
lifetime Belden wires from NAPA tomorrow (can't remember if they have to
order those or not..)

But the 392 was sounding promising for a minute..

Thanks, everyone.  I'll report back after I have the new wires in hand.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout