Re: kevlar clutch

Hey Willy and all,

I've seen the adds for these clutches, and have wondered if these are the
same things that a local school bus tried a few years back.  The ones that
were installed on the busses were a three paddle type, rather than a normal
round patterned clutch.  I've been told that they are superior on race
tracks, but on the heavy International school busses, they performed
miserably.  I never had a chance to try out the feel myself, but me friend
that worked for the company said that it made take-offs incredibly
difficult.  The bus shuttered as the clutch attempted to get the trany up
to speed.

Five of the busses had these clutches installed, and the rest were returned
to the manufacturer.  Now that I think about it, this was about 12 years
ago.  So maybe the technology improved, and you're also not going to be as
heavy as a bus.

Hope this was helpful,
John Wynne
76 Terra