Engine still won't start

Well, I'm still having a heck of a time getting this 392 to start.  Here's
where I am:

392E, with Prestolite distributor.
Good ground, good battery, and remote starter solenoid set-up installed. It
cranks when it's supposed to, and I get power to the coil as appropriate in
run mode.

I have spark at each plug to ground, coil to ground, etc.

I've got gas flowing from pump to bowls, and through carb (new kit
installed).  Air a-plenty surrounds the vehicle.

I made sure that the marks on the crank gear and the cam gear lined up when
I installed them during the rebuild.

I timed the engine based on the instructions in the manual, on #8 cylinder
at TDC.  Why #8 btw?  You can see #2 go up and down with a flashlight.  I
guess it really doesn't matter for static timing.  All of the wires go to
the correct plug.  Gap is okay on each plug.  Each plug and plug wire is
new.

I've tried to advance and retard the dist while cranking, with no starting.

I rotated the distributor 180 degrees, and tried to start and got air
blowing out of the carb instead of being sucked in...I promptly rotated the
distributor back 180 degrees.

I followed the instructions for checking out the distributor
electronics...and all were okay...but since it sparked when it was supposed
to, I don't suppose it mattered.

I've got the red wire to the (+) side of the coil and the brown wire to the
(-) wire of the coil.  The white wire is not being used.

I can't figure out what is wrong.  Spark, air, fuel.  I must assume it's
timing, but I have followed instructions.

Any suggestions?  What am I doing wrong?  This is really getting to me.

Thanks fellow IHC lovers

Roger Scow

***HINT***  When trying to prelube the engine after rebuild and before
starting, I found it possible by using my longest Craftsman screw driver,
with a 13/16" socket over the "ball" on the end.  Then a 3/8" extension and
into my air ratchet.  It worked beautifully.  My new VDO mechanical oil
pressure gage was impressed, and so was I.

rds