Re: Country Rock & Taco,KFC,Dominoes

> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:17:35 -0700
> From: "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Country Rock & Taco,KFC,Dominoes commercial

<snip>

> On the other hand, when I was in college, CD, Molly Hatchet and especially
> Marshall Tucker were all the rage. We called it "country rock". Poco - an
> offshoot of the Byrds and others - really created this classification. I
> think I've got two Marshall Tucker LPs. I loved that one Marshall Tucker
> song, "Green Grass and High Tides Forever".

"Green Grass and High Tides Forever" was performed by the Outlaws.

Marshall Tucker's hits (at least my favorites) were "Can't You See,"
and "Heard In In A Love Song."

However, you're close by association, Marshall Tucker was recorded
by Phil Walden (he owns Capricorn Records), and the Outlaws were
managed by Alan Walden, Phil's brother.  Alan's first big group was
Lynard Skynard.

Phil is generally considered the orginator of Southern Rock, a la the
Allman Brothers (1968).  Marshall Tucker didn't record their first
album until 1973.

If you're going to call Marshall Tucker a Country rock band, they have
to be the first and only one with a flute player.<g>

Toy Caldwell's guitar solo on "Can't You See" is probably one of the
best understated Rock & Roll solos (he picked with his thumb like Wes
Montgomery) since Jerry Lee Lewis's piano solo on "You Win Again."

Those were great crazy,
fun and never dull days.

One who was there.

BTW, my truck at that time was an IHC 1100.

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided