Re: folding windshields

Message text written by Howard R Pletcher
>Folding windshields were a VERY SELDOM ordered option as they were NOT
offered once the change was made.

 I've never had the windshield out of an 80/800, but I'm certain the
frame can be unbolted and taken out. They are shown as a stand-alone
piece in the parts book.  I'd expect that the body didn't change enough
that the older windshield couldn't be able to be made to work--you might
have to drill some new holes or something.  I believe there was a
previous discussion about being able to interchange hoods between the two
models, which partially says the windshields have to be close to the
same.   But, I also haven't heard of anyone that has interchanged
windshield frames either---yet.<

Howard,
   I'll have to take a closer look at mine tonight.  From memory, I don't
recall any place to unbolt the frame.  I think it's all welded into the
body structure.   Interchanging hoods, yes, but windshields, I don't think.

  BTW, discussing folding windshields with a long time local IH dealer, he
said they weren't popular with owners.  Apparently, given our Seattle area
weather, leaks at the hinge were a constant irritation.  I've seen a couple
of farmer's 80's with a liberal coating of heavy roof tar at the hinge
joint.

Doug