Re: Loosing Gas

Guys:

This "dry up" of fuel in the float bowls after long shut down periods, is
not unique to IH! I think we're getting spoiled by the newer cars.

Most older cars I've ever had, that also used gasoline and a carburetor
were subject to this phenomenon. Usual cause, at least out here in the land
of milk and honey, was EVAPORATION of the fuel in the float bowl. Think
about this, the top of your engine is some 200 degrees or so. You shut
down. The ambient air temp is in the 80's. How long before the 4 ozs of
fuel in the float bowl evaporates out the bowl vent at these temps?

One of the "early cures" was vent valves that prevented the gas from
vaporizing and going out the bowl vent - sort of. Later "cures" came with
electric fuel pumps that started as soon as the key was engaged and fuel
injection.

Tom H.