TA tanks, cool airplanes, IH M1's, cooling upgrade ?, B-series

>Subject: TA tanks
>
>>The rear tank was optional, tho' most trucks I've seen seem to have them.
>
>Wonder why? <g>
>
>Sorry Jim, the front tank was the option- 20 gal rear, + 15 gal front.
>Think about it-- otherwise they'd have to weld on a different rear panel (I
>don't know if it's a qtr or not, Howard has me so confused on that) for the
>optional tank!  The front fender filler is just a choice of bolting on
>fender A or fender B (or Fender Strat or..).

Yes, of course Chris is right...that's what I get for posting without
thinking ;).

Re: Non IH warbirds

There are a few advantages to living within spitting distance and full view
of the local airport, especially in the Confederate Air Force's stomping
grounds. Over the past year I have seen a B-24, B-25, B-36, B-17 and
probably a couple other B-somethings I haven't ID'd. No B-29 as I bet the
SLO runway's too short. That unit probably uses the Paso Robles strip as
it's ex-military and long enough for a 747 or C5A. Major treat last
month...a P-38 was around all Saturday flying in and out! I would run for
the field glasses every time I saw it...much quieter than I would expect.
That's all in addition to the usual P-51/P-47/T-6 traffic. They like to do
a few formation touch-and-gos and then stop for lunch. Those guys
definitely have more money than they know what to do with!  ;)

Re: IH weapons

There's been an IH M1 for sale in the local ad papers for a few weeks.
Sounds like a nice gun from the description, but they're asking $850 for
it. Are they really worth that much? I'm completely ignorant of collector
firearm prices...

Re: IH V8 cooling upgrade

I'd like to get an idea if there's any interest in this before I pursue it
further....what does the gang think about an IH V8 cooling upgrade kit that
included a thermostat(with bypass block off) that has a 50% larger flow
area and a small machined adaptor plate that allows its fitment? I'm
guessing it would retail for $40-50....any comments appreciated!

>As I understand it, the powr-lok diff does not use clutch packs but uses
>gears. If this is the case do I still use the LS additive to the gear oil. I
>haven't opened the pumpkin yet to look inside, but I would like to know what
>kind of fluid to put into it. It has a 264 six cylinder in it with a 3-speed
>tranny. I have a 5-speed out of a school bus that I would like to put into
>it. Is this possible? Will the rims off of a newer Binder fit on this truck?
>
>TIA
>Cam Dingwall
>Grandview, Manitoba

I use Sta-Lube 90W for LS diff's. Seems to work fine...

I embarrassed to say that I don't really know if the 5 speed bell housing
will bolt up directly to a BD/BG engine....The input shafts on the 3 spds
and 4 spds are the same 10 1/2" stickout and spline size/count, but I'm not
sure about the 5 spd input shaft(may be why it uses a unique bell housing...).

IIRC the 110/112 have the 5 on 4 3/4" bolt circle same as my 102. No later
IH wheel pattern is the same, but it's not an uncommon pattern. I have a
set of generic white spokers for my itty bitty street radials. They look OK
with a set of '73 IH full wheel covers on them.

Jim