Why do computer discussions get us so excited?

Can you remember any topic on the Digest that's caused such a stir as the
computer discussion?  It's kind of strange that we identify ourselves so
much by the type of computer we've chosen.   Given the current prices of
systems, the cost of a computer is hardly a significant factor in today's
cost of living.   A set of new kitchen appliances easily exceeds the cost
of a high end system, but have you ever seen individuals debating the
merits of various appliance brands to the extent that is done with
computers?  Where else does the choice of a consumer product elicit such
emotional responses?   What other consumer product has a situation  like
the opposing forces of Gates' exorbitant wealth on one side versus the
underdog status of Apple on the other side?  There're so many issues here,
hatred/envy of Gates, support of the underdog, etc, etc,......issues that
go far beyond the whether the computer will do the job for the average
user.  Fascinating.

BTW, my first computer at home was an Apple.  I think it was plain Apple,
not Apple II.  The user manual is hand written, not typed or word
processed, just hand written.  Wonder if Jobs or Wozniak actually wrote it?
 Is it a collector's item?  Computer is long gone, but I kept the manual.

Doug