OK, now I'm really confused!

  Well, thanks to John Landry's advice I've confirmed
what the dwell is and that it's set properly (thanks
John).
  While checking this out I decided to re-check the
idle settings on the carb., this time using a vacuum
gauge. Woah! Funny things are happening...
  I pulled off the cap to a non-ported vacuum source
on the carb, the idle never changed! I put the cap
back on, I took the cap off, no change...repeated this
process four or five times. The idle stays the same
regardless.
  So...I check the vacuum readings anyway...pretty
steady (<1mm waver) right around 16. But because of
the situation with the vacuum line I figure I must
have a pretty good size leak somehwere...where?
  I just replace all the vacuum hose when I replaced
the intake manifold (I hear everybodies alarms going
off) last week. I took a can of carb cleaner and
sprayed it over the entire upper portion of the
engine. Never a blip. Competely covered every surface
of the manifold I could get to, all vacuum lines, the
outside surface of the carb., I used darn near the
whole can...and still didn't find any leak.
Where the heck should look to next? Do I need to pull
the manifold again? Hate to do that...heavy as#$d
thing.
Please give me some words of wisdom,
thanks,
Russ