MAC Why Think Different

> Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 02:53:46 -0600
> From: "David Willmon" <dwillmo@domain.elided>
> Subject: Thinking Differently
>
> Hey, I fell for the 1984 Apple ads and bought a 512 Mac back in 1985.
> Didn't even have a hard drive and it cost me $2500.  That and a Laserwriter
> cost a little less than $10,000.  Anyway, now I'm driving a 350 mhz PowerMac
> 6500. It would be interesting to know what percentage of Scout owners are
> also Mac users.  You think there's some correlation? I also have a diesel
> VW.  I guess I'm hopelessly marred.

Do you have to unplug the G3's to turn them off when they lock up?  Or
did MAC finally install an on/off switch?

MACs are different - my 6220 CD is the only computer I've come across
that has a remote control - controls the TV tuner, the CD drive, turns
the computer on and off.  But if if locks up - MS Word 6.0 and Excel
are bad about this - (even the reset button in the back doesn't work)
I have to *unplug*it* to turn it off.

I find this oddly amusing, plus what other computer refers to a
computer glitch as, "being blessed."

> Surely you don't believe Apple came up with that saying "Think Different."
> Blame it on some advertising agency.  Actually, nobody cares whether there's
> a noun or verb or dangling participle.  It's how it sounds, and I say "Think
> Different" sounds better than "Think Differently."

Different is a spondee - two equal syllables - the way it is usually
pronounced. (it could be three syllables, but is usually pronounced as
two syllables.  Sentences that end in spondee have a better sound.

The lines in Homer's Iliad and Odyssey all end in spondee.  Folk been
talking about those two pieces of literature for approx 2800 years -
no Y2K problem there. <g>

Besides and probably more to the point - John Watson/IBM's motto for
years (perhaps 50 years) before MACs came on the radar screen, "Think."

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided