727 leaks, T-all rear tanks

>Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 02:41:46 -0700
>From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Ordered Pump Rebuild, etc.
>
>Peter,
>Yes, there is a seal on the control shaft that comes up out of the
>tranny. That damn thing leaks by the gallon when it leaks, and
>typically it leaks much sooner than either the front or rear seals.
>Even though it basically is on top of the tranny, somehow huge amounts
>of fluid find their way out of that seal.
>John H.

FWIW, the 727 hop up kit I bought from Northern along with their very
complete and pretty cheap rebuild kit has a mod to keep fluid from draining
back down out of the converter and flooding the pan/shift shaft area. I
don't have enough miles on the rebuild to confirm whether or not it's
effective, but it made sense to me at the time that that could be the cause
of the massive discharge out of a worn shift shaft seal....

Re: '69 on T-all rear tanks

The rear tank was optional, tho' most trucks I've seen seem to have them.
Capacity IIRC is somewhere in the 20 gal range..

Jim