Re: More Starter Solenoid

Howard,
  I'll check the voltages when I get home today, but I believe I recall
seeing that I had current when holding the voltmeter lead to the + coil
and to ground.  Should this voltage be present if the key is in the off
position, or only when the key is in the run position?  The engine will
not crank using the key switch, and shows no discharge on the ammeter
when trying to start using the key.  This is my first experience with
electrical problems of this sort, so I'm building my troubleshooting
knowledge for future reference.  Maybe it's time to cut away the tape
holding the wires bundled together and do a physical trace, too.  Is
there a special wire used to make a resistance wire (other than just any
old 72" long wire)?  This one has an almost cloth-like looking coating
instead of the smooth plastic of the other wires.  Does the resistance
wire go from the ignition switch to bulkhead connector to the R terminal
on the solenoid?
Myron

-----Howard's original message-----
Are you getting 12V to the R terminal of the solenoid and to the coil
with the key in the run position?  Since it tries to start (I'm assuming
you are saying it does fire and run as long as you have the wire on the S
terminal) you would be getting 12V to the coil from the S termianl
through the bypass around the resistance wire.  If run circuit through
the resistance wire is bad, it would be like turning the ignition off
when you remove the 12V from the S terminal.

Will it crank using the key?

C. Myron Ware   Senior Prog/Analyst, CNE |  NASA Langley Research Center
Email c.m.ware@domain.elided             |  Hampton, Va   23681
http://cnb-www.larc.nasa.gov/~ware/cmw-home.html  (work) or
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1370  (non-work)

It's too bad that all the people that know how to run the country
  are busy driving taxi-cabs and cutting hair. -- George Burns