Re: Electrified railways

Greg,

Electric railways work great.  Regenerative braking works great too.
However,  they are connected by wire, and the total power consumed by all
the electrified railways in this country is insignificant compared to
autos.

Anyone want to ride in a Geo Metro with 1000 lbs of lead acid batteries??
Makes a Scout handle like a gran prix (no not a Pontiac) car by
comparison.

How do you control 1000 lbs of batteries in an accident if your total
vehicle weight including batteries is 2000 lbs????

BTW has anyone ever seen the range calculations on a Batt car or hybrid
when you consider the power required for windshield wiper, headlights and
air conditioning?????  I'll give up a lot before my air conditioning.

Just to give you an idea, my MSD ignition takes 120 watts!!!!

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776