Re: Turbines

>NO--although I am not familiar with the Pennsy S-2's.

"The" (as in one and only) S2!  It looked just like a regular steam engine
except w/out pistons, and it was a true steam turbine from Westinghouse.
You're right, some of the others were gas turbines- why did they need the
extra water tender?

>"messed around with"--they saw main line freight service between Ogden and
>Cheyenne for many years. Mostly on the big grades between Ogden and Green
>River and between Cheyenne and Laramie (the "Sherman" grade). The combined

Did you ever see the picture of one of them lashed up with a Big Boy?
Pretty neat shot.

>cycle locomotive I mentioned seeing--which was not publicized that I know
>of--appeared to be a gas turbine electric with a (condensed) recip steam
>bottoming cycle.

Mebbie that was the one with the two tenders.