questions

Hey all

all of these questions about vacuum and such got me wonderin- what can one
infer from high/low manifold vacuum?  My 345 pulls about 21 inches.  Is this
good?  I wonder because as I mentioned, I can't pull the booster line off of
the manifold without the engine dying. Just wondering.

Also, I noticed some small deposits settled in the fuel bowl of my carb
(edelbrock 1406), so i installed a secondary fuel filter.  I spliced this
one in about 4 inches before the fuel pump.  Since, I've noticed that the
fuel level has dropped significantly in the first filter when she's running.
Also, the level in the second filter looks very low as well.  Reason I ask
is that I think I'm getting some fuel starvation at heavy throttle.  Next
step is to check the pump, I suppose. I'll do some testing with the second
filter removed soon.  So, what's a good fuel pressure to expect from a
mechanical pump?  Sorry for all of the questions, but my learning process
continues...

TIA

Matt Neff