Timing stuff

  That bit in the last digest about cutting a hole in
the dist. cap to check rotor phase was really wild.
thanks John.
  I'm afraid my question is a little more basic than
that. I'm trying to track down what feels and sounds
like a miss at low rpm's, just higher than an idle.
Someone (John?) suggested I check the mechanical
advance on the dist. ('73 304 w/ points).
How is this accomplished? do I just hook up my timing
light, disconnect the vacuum advance, and rev the
motor while watching the timing marks? or is there
some better/other way?
TIA,
(By the way, who do I thank for maintaining the
digest? I would like to give credit where it's due,
and I am learninga lot just by reading this digest.)