Re: My Brakes

The aliens commander decided "Neff, Matthew John - MBA"
<NEFMJ124@domain.elided> would make a perfect specimen for dissection, and
he yelled...

>Hey, John
>
>Does your scout even run with the booster disconnected?

Can't say I've ever tried it actually.

But I can tell you this... when sitting stopped holding the brake with the
truck in drive, the harder I apply pressure to brake pedal, the leaner the
air / fuel mixture as displayed on my Cyberdyne gauge.  If apply normal
moderate pressure (enough to hold the truck in drive at a light), the
mixture is only slightly affected.  If I apply very hard pressure, the
mixture will drop completely off the scale to the lean side.  Varying the
pressure anywhere in between causes a corresponding change in the mixture.
This leads me to believe that *my* booster is constantly allowing some
level of air into the intake... and from studying the IH shop manual brake
booster diagrams, I think this is somewhat normal.  After all, there's an
air filter at the back of the booster.  But I really need to do some
experimenting to find out exactly where my booster is allowing air in.  A
leak at the *front* of the booster (against the master cylinder) is not
normal.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT