Re: My Brakes

Skip,
It appears to me that you sent this to the wrong digest address, so
I'm going to send it on to the right one, so that maybe you'll get
some help from other digesters.
You definitely do not have a properly working brake system on your 79
Scout! Actually, at the risk of repeating myself, your Scout should
have excellent brakes.
I think I'd start by looking at three things:
I'd make sure that the booster is getting good vacuum. I unplug my
vacuum line from the booster occasionally to put oil in the vehicle
and when I do, my brakes act like yours, only I can't push hard enough
to stop it.
I'd jack up one side of the vehicle and test the brakes by trying to
rotate the tires with the brake applied to a moderate amount. Both
front and rear should be locking up way beyond what force you can
apply. Repeat on the other side.
I'd check to see if the emergency brake works well with the vehicle
trying to roll forward. If it does, then you can assume that the rear
brakes are physically OK.  At Tulare, a week or two ago, I was using
the emergency brake to help me balance on the teeter totter, and the
brakes held so well that I crumpled the ends of the shoes with the
force I was applying.
You probably already know that most of the braking comes from the
front disks, but you need to know if the rears are working OK.
Hopefully, if you find that you have good vacuum to the booster,
somebody will provide a way to test the booster, because I think that
your booster is the problem.
Let us know.
John H.